The Standing Desk Experiment
today is DAY THREE of the Standing Desk Experiment. in case you didn’t see the picture of my ingenious DIY standing desk yesterday, behold it in all of its glory:
my loving sister saw a picture and noted that I should put it on pinterest… bitchface.
anyway - as i said: DAY THREE!
so far, i’m really loving it. i’m more alert throughout the day, haven’t been getting the 3pm slump and i feel like i’m working more efficiently (yesterday i was so efficient i forgot to take my lunch). it did take a little while to get use to - i have shite posture most of the time and like to laze at my desk - but after the first day and a few adjustments, i quite like it.
I’ve been alternating between standing and sitting at about an 80(standing)/20(sitting) ratio and i think it’s working out well. my feet haven’t really hurt and my legs are doing fine as well. i also actually feel like my sciatica is sorting itself out a little more than it has been (but i still need to see a chiropractor - dead-brownie: shutup, i can hear you sighing from here). I’ve also noticed i’m flexing my core muscles more, so maybe this will also be a help to my chubby-bunny belly.
this desire for a standing desk sprung from the many articles I’ve seen circulating about how prolonged sitting is affecting our health, physical and mental. after seeing a Buzzfeed video about how to sit properly, i decided i needed to get my act together when sitting and standing. since i work at a desk all day, i figured i might as well get a start there.
i’d really like to get a proper standing desk setup (instead of stacks of magazines and a box under my monitor) but for now, it’s working pretty damn well.
i’ll check back in a few days down the road to report whether it’s still awesome or it’s turning out to be awful. i honestly have no idea which it will be.
my baller husband and his diy hotel cocktail shaker
design and layout done!
tomorrow, i’ll sew this bad boy together and then all i have to do is find a cute hook for our mantle.
tonight we’ll be putting a black floating shelf over the changing table/dresser and one over the glider as well.
we ordered this decal to place over the changing table (and underneath the shelf) and i’ll be putting the little animal hoops on/around the shelf.
the scallop garland i’m making will go over the bed, with multiple strands criss-crossing and i’ll be hanging a small piece of art or two on the walls underneath.
the two embroidered hoops will go in the little section of wall next to the window, behind the glider. matthew had the idea to hang them from a piece of ribbon from a screw with a button glued onto the front of it, which i think is adorable.
everything’s coming together - hopefully this week we’ll be almost completely done with the nursery and then i’ll do post with pictures of all the little details.
note: please excuse the tin foil. we’re trying to make our cats understand that this room is not their play palace.
all of the scallops are sewn - FUCKING FINALLY.
i especially love the grey and red scallops. their textures are so nice.
now onto the next steps:
- iron each scallop to round them out
- iron the ribbon in half to make it easier to pin to the scallops
this project is pretty boring and repetitive, but i’m hoping the payoff will be worth it.
all my fabric squares are cut and ready to be patterned up! currently doing the red, ruffly fabric, as i think that’s going to be the most challenging/angry-making.
i’m using this tutorial and altering a couple of things:
- cut 6.5 x 7.5 squares instead of 6 x 8 (mostly due to the fact of how much fabric i had/how wide the fabric was).
- using grey 1.5 inch satin ribbon instead of bias tape. it might be a little more difficult since there’s not a pre-made fold, but i couldn’t find any bias tape at the craft store (UGH!) and i thought that grey would look better with the room than white.
- using mostly textured fabrics to give some depth instead of all patterned fabrics… we’ll see how they turn out.
so, this could be a total win or a total failure. i’ll let you guys know how it goes.
they’re finally finished!
first batch of homemade pregnancy tea!
equal parts raspberry leaf, alfalfa, nettle leaf
small pinches of lavendar and lemon balm for taste
my midwife said to drink a mason jar a day - just mix at night, add boiling water and enjoy all the next day. easy peasy!
handy husband is handy: diy mason jar chandelier for the nursery is done!
really bright at full bore. when using the dimmer, the light bulbs look like lightning bugs.
curtains are done!
lined for warmth and darkening, hidden selvages (usually, i’m too lazy), cute tie-backs.
i lurve them.